China
How I miss travelling sometimes, for leisure~!
it was an opportunity to attend a two day course in China, so I went with all the happy feelings. Some relief from hectic work schedule.
My flight landed Beijing prior to another flight to Qingdao, but the most interesting part that happen was during the transit time itself.
I was alone, my colleagues who were supposed to go with me had earlier flight, thanks to my visa issue, I tried to avoid Beijing as much as I can but it was the best shortest route to be in time with the course registration.
The Terminal 3 Beijing International Airport was a bit dead when we reached the place. The arrival hall was too dark for some baring baring time on the bench, I was too scared to do it knowing many people just being there waiting for their early morning flight. To tell you the truth, I was not that impressed with the facilities, so when the attached transit hotel was full, I had no choice to find other place to have some short rest and shower.
One gentleman approach me with a catalogue. Without to question the quality of the place, I just need some place to rest for my backache and tiredness, later I found myself in a battered van that picked me from the airport. Fuiyo adventure gila siot. I never been picked by any stranger in a foreign land. The usual way will be a free hotel shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel which the booking will be done in Malaysia before the journey begins, but this time, on spontaneous basis. I badly need a room. oh my.
It was only two of us in the van. The van driver did not speak any word of English. Somehow, two kilometre away from airport, he drove me somewhere which was into some jalan kampung/ jalan tikus, not a proper road. habes lah I. Kat manalah dia nak bawak.
In the stillness of dark, I prayed he did not send me to any brothel house for a trade or sell me for organ selling scam. I tried to maintain my coolness. Upon my arrival, I handed some 280 yuan for the hotel fees and deposit and the reception gave me this key card. The girl photocopied my passport. Simple and fast.
On the hotel interior, it was so shabby enough as if I entered into that 70s era, the ones you see in Bruce Lee's movies. Old China antique deco, dark marble floor, tiles for the wall and the carpet was too old, dusty and with some musty smell. Somehow some deeja vu struck me to see that kind of environment. Yeah, I have been into this dream before of going to a place with Bruce Lee feel in it. Oh dear.
There is no lift for third floor guest which I dragged my luggage all the way to the room and surprising my hotel is next to a better looking hotel, only the other hotel charge you 480 yuan. very expensive.
![]() |
| that kotak lilin look kit |
The best part of this moment when I entered the bathroom, I saw this kotak lilin sort of thing and realised it was the hotel's toiletries kit. Memang rasa betul betul berada di sebuah negara komunis.
Yeah, what a weird way to have my first Beijing moment. very modest way.
Yeah, what a weird way to have my first Beijing moment. very modest way.
So after a few hours of wink, I took some shower, dressed myself into fresh pair of baju kurung to board into that China Eastern Airlines plane. Feeling fresh and happy.
The most memorable part of this trip is the hospitality of the hotel people who tried their best to accommodate me. Even asking the password of wifi access was easy by showing your laptop with login page on it, and to request the van driver again (I dunno whether he did not sleep the entire night) picking and sending people to airport.
Though he did not speak my language and I did not speak any mandarin, the only phrase I said was "wa pu cher taw - i dont understand/know" this van driver was being a gentle man to carry my luggage right from the hotel entrance to his van.
I learnt a few lesson. People regardless any background, if they are kind people, they will be kind to you. Never underestimate. That bumpy van ride to the airport again with some hotel guest smiling at me and we were together to the same spot - Terminal 3 Beijing Airport. I was a total stranger but these people never treat me like an alien.
Surprisingly, there was this old china man, with un kept hair and his oversize coat (imagine Stephen chow disguising himself as old man kinda) greeted me when he saw me in that red baju kurung in the airport.
"Malaysia?"
I managed a smile. What a surprise to be on this land when I wear my baju kurung, people recognise my country.

Comments
Post a Comment