The Proposal & TALENTIME review

There are some good and some bad movies. Also some good songs or tracks and some lousy ones. Whatever it may appeal to you, I am glad to survive in the entire week with two movies and a CD. A great stress buster.



The Proposal - A Romantic Comedy when Ms. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, found themselves in a dire situation when someone might be deported back to the home country and the other one might lose the dream "job". Something like "The Green Card" the movie, but this one is peppered with all sort of sarcasm, comic relief timing and being Sandra Bullock, every woman will envy that actor. The shoes, the bag, the office bitching and the romantic scenery backdrop, it is a refreshing way to describe a romantic movie. Who doesn't want to be the bride of an Alaskan Kennedy guy? Even disguising as the Devil in Prada? I bet Ms. Palin will be having a jolly good time threading the icy water of remote north, rather to stick with the politics in Washington D.C.

Hilarious Moments?

It was Ramone, the bartender cum the stripper and the pastor, creating all these "geli' factor in the movie and "Granny" a tribal eccentric asking the future granddaughter to wear that Titanic + Pricess Leia version of Wedding Gown. Oh, I would rather die wearing that on my Big Day, and Ms. Sandra was being polite. Funny huh?

I totally recommend this movie, my friends. Trust me.



TALENTIME.The movie captures the audience with simple shots of old town in Ipoh. The love story of a mixed Malay girl and a boy of Indian parentage, tells us again the director,being a truly romantic idealist, prefer to have LOVE as the subject without doubt, supersede the racial boundaries. Looking at how the cinematography was done, it was something nostalgic to see those post colonial bungalow and quarters. The old thing should be cherished and not forgotten. The way of bringing the Hindustani element into this movie was brilliant. Sad, melancholic songs and traditional Indian dance routine describe perfectly on certain sad scenes. The songs are great. I never imagine Er Hu, the Chinese musical instruments blends well with acoustic guitar sounds. Ms. Yasmin did a good homework this time.


Overall, I think Jaclyn Victor is a potential actor, Adibah Noor will be not mistaken for her role as the strict, English teacher (in real life, she used to be the INTAN English Instructor) and Ms. Azean Irdawaty, well known for her acting persona, did a good job, portraying a dying cancer patient. Overall, it is the best movie by Ms. Yasmin and as always, she did something different from the others.

What I am going to miss?

Too bad that some people are blind with the fact that a great story teller make a good movie. National Day this year will be different without the magic touch of this woman for Petronas advert. Damn.

Three years ago, when I have mentioned her name during my PAC English Speaking session of "How we Malaysian should celebrate Hari Kebangsaan", the panel was delighted with the points - No Piracy for Local Movies. And again, being a hopeful, I wanted to have all her advert compiled into a CD for a great piece of work.

Leo Burnett, please do something.

Comments

Popular Posts