Almost Moon

Almost Moon by Alice Sebold was an eye opener. It tells us how complicated a mother-daughter relationship can be and the imperfection of our ancestors (whether physical trait, diseases or behaviour) seems to haunt us from time to time.
Frankly I admit that it has something to do with me. Me being a mother, a daughter, I have issues of my own and funny when your kids seems to side with the opposite party and you are left alone. Yeah, I took my time to bury myself with novels or books in my bed, while the rest are just another noise i assume will be over, but it is not.
The only drawback was the ending. It leaves us puzzled whether the main character, Helen committing suicide after she accidentally killed her mentally ill, old mother, put her in the basement and did all the impossible. Maybe Helen learnt to accept her flaws in the past and deal with it with the present. Maybe I should. forgive and forget. But the emotional scar deep down would remain and it is not passable to another person. And Helen did that.
Alice Sebold is also the author of "The Lovely Bones". An upcoming movie based on the book and directed by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Ring) will be released in December 2009.
Comments
Post a Comment