Love For the Language
Science and Math in English?
Yes, I had been trying to explain to my daughter the reason for all these subjects are taught in the language.
I can say, she just begin to learn the language at the age I did and I should get her a dictionary as she keeps asking stuff for the homework.
I have no objection if those subjects are to be taught in Malay again. I do not see the point why these two have to be in English. Why not every subject?
You see, our Bahasa Melayu is very important. We learnt it in the school, from primary to our secondary. Passing Bahasa Melayu for SPM for A1 is so easy, however it did not contribute much to my current work environment.
I still can not write my report well despite my effort to read other people way of reporting.
I can say, Bahasa Melayu has evolved quite number of times, in term of grammar, spelling and many aspects which the evidence are very obvious. For example: two-word connector can be into one-word type or vice versa (walau bagaimanapun). It can be so frustrating guessing the right one huh?
While English has been promoted all over for the sake of having more rocket scientist or genius, being a science student with Malay language as the main one, I had no problem understanding those English written books during my university days. Where you can find computer science books in Malay anyway? Thanks to my early exposure reading my father's millitary reports though I have to admit it was supposedly to be highly confidential, but what the heck, I am allowing my daughter to read mine. ehehheheheheh
So the reason i write this one due to my longing to learn Malay language again for the sake of my job which to write report in excellent way after my Indian boss who used to be a Bahasa Melayu teacher gave me a good session of correcting the mistakes.
While there are many English classes for working adult/students such as Linguaphone , I found there are none of Malay language offered . Pathetic isnt' it?
So we have chances to learn the language during our school time only . As for me, it has been like 13 years ago, and the language keeps on evolving. How about English? It is available throughout the time.
I believe the best way to cultivate the love of the English language can be done in many ways, not by imposing it to the science based subjects only.
Teachers have to be more creative. They can inject a play or drama or sing-a-song stuff in their classes. The better way also is to allow student to discuss on a particular book, chosen by the teacher. Having drama competition or a play will make the language more interesting since student also have the opportunities to learn other people's culture from the play/drama itself.
So, the teachers can spare other subjects to be taught in Malay.
I guess by reading more books written in the language seems to be the only solution despite not so many good books available. Correct me if I am wrong. Surprisingly, biographies, memoirs or politic-based of writing seem more appealing to me. Not those romance kind of books by the author's names are Izana Shakira or Emilia Shafira etc etc. U get what I mean?
Yes, I had been trying to explain to my daughter the reason for all these subjects are taught in the language.
I can say, she just begin to learn the language at the age I did and I should get her a dictionary as she keeps asking stuff for the homework.
I have no objection if those subjects are to be taught in Malay again. I do not see the point why these two have to be in English. Why not every subject?
You see, our Bahasa Melayu is very important. We learnt it in the school, from primary to our secondary. Passing Bahasa Melayu for SPM for A1 is so easy, however it did not contribute much to my current work environment.
I still can not write my report well despite my effort to read other people way of reporting.
I can say, Bahasa Melayu has evolved quite number of times, in term of grammar, spelling and many aspects which the evidence are very obvious. For example: two-word connector can be into one-word type or vice versa (walau bagaimanapun). It can be so frustrating guessing the right one huh?
While English has been promoted all over for the sake of having more rocket scientist or genius, being a science student with Malay language as the main one, I had no problem understanding those English written books during my university days. Where you can find computer science books in Malay anyway? Thanks to my early exposure reading my father's millitary reports though I have to admit it was supposedly to be highly confidential, but what the heck, I am allowing my daughter to read mine. ehehheheheheh
So the reason i write this one due to my longing to learn Malay language again for the sake of my job which to write report in excellent way after my Indian boss who used to be a Bahasa Melayu teacher gave me a good session of correcting the mistakes.
While there are many English classes for working adult/students such as Linguaphone , I found there are none of Malay language offered . Pathetic isnt' it?
So we have chances to learn the language during our school time only . As for me, it has been like 13 years ago, and the language keeps on evolving. How about English? It is available throughout the time.
I believe the best way to cultivate the love of the English language can be done in many ways, not by imposing it to the science based subjects only.
Teachers have to be more creative. They can inject a play or drama or sing-a-song stuff in their classes. The better way also is to allow student to discuss on a particular book, chosen by the teacher. Having drama competition or a play will make the language more interesting since student also have the opportunities to learn other people's culture from the play/drama itself.
So, the teachers can spare other subjects to be taught in Malay.
I guess by reading more books written in the language seems to be the only solution despite not so many good books available. Correct me if I am wrong. Surprisingly, biographies, memoirs or politic-based of writing seem more appealing to me. Not those romance kind of books by the author's names are Izana Shakira or Emilia Shafira etc etc. U get what I mean?
izana shakiri sounds familiar. bukan dia budak tkc ke? aku rasa dia senior aku masa kat college, buat medicine kat uk.
ReplyDeletehahahaha guna tajuk buku je. "kembang tak jadi".
*shakira
ReplyDeleteaku pun kurang pasti.
ReplyDeleteeheheh kena google plak nama ni.
"kembang tak jadi"?
nice one.
as for me, i am a fine example of "kembang menjadi-jadi" :)