Three roses for Mum


IT was the day when I had to rush back to Rawang to check on my daughter’s condition. Heard that she was really missing me badly, so with a little budget, I just gamble with hope that the bus to my housing area was there waiting for me.

It turned out to be that that night is the Mother and Father’s Day celebration for Dahlia blocks. We have this sort of committee of the place, who organize any major celebration – Open House, Netball games or whatever that keeps the whole are occupied with activities, and of course, mum would be one of them, at least it gave her some peace of mind rather than her usual bebelan. And the best part, I would join the single girls who keep on watching those married couples’s antic during the event- hugging, giving pecks on the cheeks, open declaration of how much they love each other and even they behaved quite weirdly in front of us. I am not against public intimacy between a man and a woman, but it was too much for us as we do understand that these people are struggling with keeping up the images of how happily married they are, in front of the neighbours.

And that is why I seldom go back to my mum’s house. Not because of the stupid bus which delays my journey, but people who pretend not to notice my presence but they are doing the opposite way. We have this neighborhood ala Wisteria Lane where all people would know every one ‘s little dark secrets, like that house at the corner is having major adultery problem where the husband main kayu tiga, the kid of this Mr. and Mrs. X is befriending with pengkid and mat rempits so the daughter is doing drugs or because this house’s owner was sack from his job, he had to sell the house etc etc. Same goes to my case too, where they wonder why I was not around a lot of times while I am leaving my kid with mum. Too many pretending is going on.


But it did not matter that much as I still need to see Fatiha. Surprisingly she had memorized all the alphabets and knew the numbers, and the exposure of the kindy-school has taught her another lesson. When my sister insisted me to buy some flowers for mum as an appreciation that nite, my kid pressured me to buy her a single stalk of a red rose. I was really touched by her action, as I thought that she was well-absorbed with the celebration and she would give the rose to me later. It was when we were leaving the committee‘s tent, she was calling someone’s name and dashed to this boy. It turned out to be that the rose was meant for this boy, her good friend in that kindy-school. Oh my, my mother’s celebration day became a Valentine nightmare! And I do not blame her for those too much TV exposure; it was those odd married couples showering excessive TLCs with each other.


So highlights of the weekend;
1) Mum’s other boyfriend gave her some cold cash for “parting” gift. So we have some goodies in the house – a grand teak cabinet for her Noritake & Queen Anne Display, Europa Gas Stove, beds, wardrobe and she still could cover the expenses of fitting the tiles for the upper floor and plus her false sticks for the denture which cost her RM600 per tooth. Cashing out your relationship seemed a good idea, as mum wanted to marry to another guy.

2) In order to get my vote for allowing her to get married again, she bribed me for a new car’s down payment, though I jokingly said that I wanted a Satria Neo. At the end, I politely refuse the offer as I was considering that my opinion does matter though the offers sounded so tempting. Ouch!

3) As mum said, once she get married, she will be joining the new hubby for a job transfer to Qatar, I will be the woman of the house with that Proton Saga buruk in my hand. It will be much better from the first option. No more nagging mum this time!

Comments

Popular Posts